Welcome to an awesome group of young folks! Our youth programs are for 6th-12th graders and our students come from varies towns and counties around CGS. Our program year runs from September 9, 2013- May 18, 2014, but we also stay busy during the summer with various trips, formation events and get togethers. Below you will find a description of some of our ministries, but we do lots of other things such as the yearly Hot Chocolate Sale, Shrove Tuesday dinner, Youth Sunday and more! Check the home page and e-newsletter each week for the most up to date announcements on youth programs.
- Sunday School (9:00am, Sunday mornings): We split into Middle School and High School classes, with each class taking time to discuss faith, prayer, scripture and how these engage our daily lives.
- EYC (Episcopal Youth Community, 5-7pm Sunday evenings): Our Sunday morning and Sunday evening gatherings aim to cultivate in our youth a desire to grow in knowledge and love of God, and in friendship with one another. We meet most Sunday evenings from 5-7pm to learn and worship together, to share dinner and to play games. Once every couple of months, we go to the Maurin House in Durham to spend time in prayer and dinner fellowship with the community there. The Maurin House is part of the Community of the Franciscan Way "composed of seminarians, lay persons, and clergy, that seeks a life of prayer, simplicity, study, and fellowship with the poor."
- Diocesan Youth Events allow our youth to connect with Episcopal youth from other parishes around North Carolina. Events like 'Bishop's Ball,' 'Winter Seniors,' 'Fall Middlers' and 'Happening' help youth to explore and deepen their faith while having fun. We encourage students at Church of the Good Shepherd to actively participate participate in the larger Episcopal Church community. More information is available on the Diocesan Youth Page.
- Retreats and mission opportunities: Our youth regularly go on retreat and participate in local and national mission/service projects. Our fall retreat takes place at Trinity Center and our winter ski retreat takes place in late mid-late winter. Our 2013 summer service trip took place in NYC and this year, we will be serving in TN on July 6-12 with Appalachia Service Project. We regularly serve with Shepherd's Table Soup Kitchen and like to hear about other local ministries that may provide opportunities for us to serve.
- Worship: We encourage our youth to participate in parish worship by serving as acolytes, kite fliers, lectors and intercessors. David Stroud offers periodic acolyte training. Contact Michelle to find out more about serving in worship.
- Confirmation: In confirmation, members of CGS make a "mature public affirmation of their faith and commitment to the responsibilities of their Baptism and ... receive the laying on of hands by the bishop" (BCP 412). Church of the Good Shepherd offers confirmation classes for youth and for adults who seek to receive the sacrament of confirmation. Our next Confirmation class series takes place March 23-May 4 at 4pm in the EYC room. Confirmation will take place on June 8, during the 10:15am service.
Do you have questions? Contact Michelle Bullock, Director of Family Ministries, by e-mail ( ) or by telephone at 919/831.2014.
- About Us
- Fast Info